When renting a dumpster, selecting the right dumpster size may seem overwhelming, but it shouldn’t be. Whether you are remodeling your kitchen, cleaning out your attic, or disposing of yard waste, you can find a dumpster that meets your needs. Standard sizes include 7, 10, 13, 20, 30, and 40-yard dumpsters. Below we review how to select the right dumpster size for your project.
Finding the Right Dumpster Size for your Project
Most short-term dumpster rental uses do not require enormous units. Common residential and commercial dumpsters are in 7, 10, 13, 20, 30, and 40-yard sizes. When the majority of people rent a dumpster, they are not certain about which size dumpster they need for their job. It is recommended that you contact the dumpster rental company with any questions you might have about selecting the right dumpster size for your project.
Let’s review the common dumpster rental sizes:
- 7 Yards: Recommended for disposal of aggregate; such as dirt, concrete, or asphalt.
- Equivalent to 2-3 pickup truck loads of debris.
- 10 Yards: Perfect for around the house clean-up jobs including a 1-car garage or small basement clean out, yard debris clean-up, and spring cleaning.
- Equivalent to 3 pickup truck loads.
- 13 Yards: Great for small to medium clean-ups/remodeling projects. A 13-yard dumpster may be the right dumpster size for a small basement, attic, or garage cleanup, flooring and carpet removal for a medium-sized house, or 130 to 250 square feet of deck removal.
- Equivalent to 5-7 pickup truck loads of debris.
- 20 Yards: Commonly used for large home carpet/floor removal, small-medium renovation/demolition projects, junk removal in a large basement or garage, and new construction jobs with limited space.
- Equivalent to 10-12 pickup truck loads.
- 30 Yards:Good size for foreclosures, evictions, and estate clean-outs. It is most often used for medium size renovation or demolition projects, medium or whole house clean-outs, new construction or commercial work.
- Equivalent to 14-16 pickup truck loads of debris.
- 40 Yards: Ideal size for foreclosures, evictions, estate clean-outs. It is most often used for large renovation or demolition projects, large or whole house clean-outs, new construction or commercial work.
- Equivalent to 18-20 pickup truck loads.
What to Consider When Selecting the Right Dumpster Size for your Project
When choosing the right dumpster size for your project, you may not want to select a dumpster that is too large and cost more, but you also will not want to get your project underway and fill the dumpster without finishing, or even worse, overfill the dumpster and be charged additional fees. It is recommended to select a container that is slightly larger than you think you may need.
What should you consider when you are selecting a dumpster for your project?
- Type and Amount of Debris: Know what items you are going to discard of and how big and bulky they are. Larger items can fill up a dumpster quickly and you should plan for that.
- Location for Dumpster: Having a dumpster delivered right to your project location is convenient; however, it may be difficult to find the right place to have your dumpster delivered. Before scheduling a dumpster rental, you should know where you are going to have the dumpster placed and measure to ensure you have enough room to not only allow for the dumpster, but for space to haul things around it.
- Understand What the Sizes Mean: Dumpster sizes are in cubic yards, which is a measurement of their volume. There are 27 feet in one cubic yard (3′ x 3′ x 3′). For example, a 10-yard dumpster can hold 10 cubic yards of material. That’s equivalent to 270 (10 x 27) cubic feet.
Haul-Away is a local dumpster rental company in Northeast Ohio. We specialize in rentals for commercial or residential dumpsters. We assist in renting dumpsters for people looking to remove a variety of items such as: home remodeling debris, including demolition, and spring clean-outs.
Haul-Away rents various size dumpsters from 7 to 40-yards. We can accommodate special orders from customers who want multiple dumpster sizes or several dumpster deliveries.
Contact us today to get started on your dumpster rental. We are happy to answer any questions you may have about the right dumpster size for your project.